Then I went to work. Because many of prints were used in small numbers and I was working from scraps (including extra pieces of the 1.5" white border from the back of the big quilt), the usual method of cutting all the pieces and then chain sewing the units worked well for each little set. But, I had about 4 prints for which I was going to be using a longer piece, so I used a more efficient technique. For example, the green with small multi-colored "lanterns" (as I dubbed them) would be 14 sides, or 21" of the print to be sandwiched, so I cut 2 2.75" x WOF strips of the white, cut them down to 22-ish", sewed them to either side of my green strip that was also about 22", pressed the seams open, and then subcut my units from there. Much faster and more accurate, I think - especially because I could resquare them as I cut along the strip, which I found I needed to do several times. Also, once I decide on layout, I'll be trimming everything to make sure it is all perfect, anyway, since I'm pretty hung up on precision, especially in a design like this. I love "intentional wonky", but that's different!
So, here's where I need your help. I'm very torn on the best layout. The layout in the first picture was suggested by my lovely fiancee (because he was so helpful in the final layout of the other quilt), and I like that because you see a bit more of the pattern. But with that pattern, it is slightly more difficult to decide on sashing placement - thus I played with scraps below to try to figure out what would look best.
I'll set this aside until sometime this weekend (though it kills me because I want to get it done!), but I'd really like your feedback.
In the meanwhile, I've had an order placed by said lovely fiancee for an eye mask. I've been wearing ones that I've gotten from airlines for a few years, which is pretty ridiculous since I can sew! He tried mine the other day and saw the beauty of it (plus, I've never made the black-out curtains that I promised to make back in April, so this will be a good short term solution until I'm ready to tackle that task...after I finish cleaning up/organizing the Woman-cave (aka studio)!). I'll try to actually take some pictures and write my first tutorial as I go, since I'd guess that these could make fun Christmas presents. I mean, really...the gift of good sleep is priceless! And hopefully by this time next week I'll have another completed quilt to show off, and my design wall can once again be covered in a storm-at-sea quilt that I desperately need to finish!